Sometimes when baking a dessert, the best choice is going back to basics. It doesn't get more basic, or more delicious than a chewy, rich, dense chocolate chip cookie. In my house chocolate chip cookies are the most requested baked good and they always get eaten up.
A great chocolate chip cookie has the power to make even the most basic baker into a complete and total hero. If you bring out a platter of warm chocolate chip cookies, you become everyones new best friend. Its just the way of the world!
I've made many many chocolate chip cookie recipes in my lifetime. Some have been chewy but not at all crispy, others have been moist and soft but had no crunchy edges! I have been searching for the perfect combination for a while; crispy edges and a soft middle. After many trials and errors I have combined a few different recipes to make this foolproof chocolate chip cookie recipe.
I use a blend of white and dark brown sugar for a chewy that also spreads for a crisp, and cornstarch for that epic dense bakery cookie you dream about. These can be made dairy using butter (and newsflash, they're obviously better that way!) They're equally delicious using melting margarine, coconut oil, or vegetable oil (I've tried them all.)
Don't skip the refrigeration portion of the recipe, its essential so the cookies don't spread too much.
If you don't want to bake a large batch all at once, I suggest scooping the dough out into rounds and freezing the dough. That way whenever you're in the mood for a fresh cookie, just pop it into the oven for an extra minute or two!
2 1/4 cup white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine melted and cooled, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, or coconut oil
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt) set aside.
2. Using a hand or stand mixer, beat together the melted butter or oil with the two sugars (brown and white.) Add in the eggs and vanilla, beat until just combined.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients and beat until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.
4. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1-3 hours (or overnight.)
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, scoop tablespoon sized balls and place 3-4 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookie is brown around the edges.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove from the cookie sheet and place on cooling rack. Enjoy immediately with a glass of milk!
The cookies pictured are made with Fleischmans's margarine.