In life, sometimes you just need to have your cake and eat it too. In this case you need to have your hot pretzel and cheese sauce too! I'm not talking about that gross jarred stuff you see in the grocery store and eye questionably, wondering to yourself...do people actually buy and eat that stuff? This is queso were talking about people!! Queso is a cheese sauce typically made with cheddar cheese and spicy chilis. This queso really ticks off all your needs, its gooey, cheesy, spicy, and indulgent. I personally pair it with homemade hot pretzel bites (I used the recipe from Food Network), but the possibilities are endless. Serve it with bites of broccoli or cauliflower, carrot sticks, hunks of crusty bread, pretzels, tortilla chips, or even stir a spoon full (or three) into your pasta! You need to make this queso dip. As the weather starts to get chilly, spend your Sunday whipping up this delicious dip. It will take you 15 minutes and you'll thank me later.
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light beer or cider
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (you could mix and match whatever cheeses you like!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp spicy salsa
1/2 jalapeno diced small, seeds removed (optional)
1. Using a small sauce pan, melt the butter.
2. Mix in the flour and cook for around 1 minute.
3. Pour in beer/cider and milk, whisk until the milk starts to thicken (2-3 minutes).
4. When the milk is thick add the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
5. Add the two cups of cheese and whisk until the cheese melts evenly throughout the sauce.
6. Turn off the flame and mix in the salsa and jalapeno, serve right away with whatever dippers you'd like!