I got the idea from a few different people to start implementing menu planning into my life. This can be super helpful with busy family life when you don't always have time to run to the grocery store every day for different dinner plan ingredients. I decided to do the following:
Sunday night - leftovers or takeout
Monday night - meat (ground beef, steaks, etc)
Tuesday night - fish
Wednesday night - chicken
Thursday night - dairy
Using this schedule makes it easier for me to plan dinners, if I know its chicken day I can take some chicken out of the freezer and decide how to make it. My hubby also knows not to have chicken for lunch if he knows were having it for dinner.
When I started this plan I knew that meat was a very important day, my daughter absolutely loves ground beef! Meatballs are her favorite so they've become our Monday night go to. I'll serve with rice, pasta, zucchini, spaghetti squash, mashed potatoes or cauliflower rice. Sometimes I'll make them with a tangy sweet and sour sauce, and sometimes I'll keep it simple with jarred marinara. But no matter what the sauce, my daughter will always eat them. This meatball recipe is the perfect blank canvas for meatballs that you can make your own! Add some BBQ sauce for zing, some smoked paprika for a savory spin, or some crushed pineapple for an island vibe. Make them your own and watch your kids eat them up! I always bake my meatballs to avoid standing over the stove frying them up. They still get crispy edges and you can pour off all the excess oil!
1 lb ground beef
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 mashed garlic clove
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2 .Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
3. Mix all the ingredients until well blended.
4. Using a tablespoon scoop shape meatballs into balls.
5. Place meatballs evenly on a covered cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
7. Add into whichever tomato sauce you'd like and let simmer 30 minutes.
Sweet and Tangy Tomato Sauce:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves of crushed garlic
2 13.5 oz cans tomato sauce
1 can crushed tomatos
1 can filled with water
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1. Let the onion and garlic sauté in the olive oil until translucent (5-7 minutes)
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and let it come to a boil
3. Plop the meatballs into the sauce and let simmer until you're ready to serve (minimum 25 minutes)